Advisory Neighborhood Commission 8A Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, January 5, 2016 | 7:00PM
UPO Building | 1649 Good Hope Road SE | Washington, DC 20020
Attendance: 5 Commissioners | 50 Attendees
- Call to Order (7:07 PM)
- Roll Call
- 5 Commissioners Present (Muhammad, Williams, Clark, Prestwood and Fletcher)
- 2 Commissioners Absent (Simms and Wilson)
- Approval of Agenda
- Motion: Cm. Clark moved to accept the agenda. 2nd: Cm. Fletcher. Passed (5-0-0)
- Reading of Minutes
- Motion: Cm. Clark moved to accept the 12/1 meeting minutes with the addition of the Q3 Treasurer’s Report total. 2nd: Cm. Fletcher. Passed (5-0-0).
- Old Business
- Treasurer’s Report (Q4)
- Motion: Cm. Muhammad moved to accept the Q4 Treasurer’s Report. 2nd: Cm. Fletcher. Passed (5-0-0).
- Treasurer’s Report (Q1 Checks)
- Motion: Cm. Muhammad moved to approve the writing and signing of Q1 checks that were written in order to take care of forthcoming bills. 2nd: Cm. Prestwood. Passed (5-0-0).
- List of Checks ($1,531.95)
- Comcast $349.18, Commonwealth $246.01, First Fidelity $325.09, Sprint $376.72, Comcast $535.95
- Motion: Cm. Muhammad moved to approve the writing and signing of Q1 checks that were written in order to take care of forthcoming bills. 2nd: Cm. Fletcher. Passed (5-0-0).
- List of Checks ($1,433.97)
- Commonwealth $55, First Fidelity Leasing $159.73, Comcast $368.70, Spring $755.54, ANC Security Fund $25, Two Reams of Paper $70
- FY16 Budget
- Same as FY15 with the removal of Petty Cash Reimbursement and the Xerox Rental (fully paid).
- Motion: Cm. Prestwood moved to approve the FY16 budget with the aforementioned edits. 2nd: Cm. Muhammad. Passed (5-0-0).
- Commission Votes
- 2016 ANC 8A Officer Elections
- Commissioner Natalie Williams (3) (W)
- Commissioner Barbara Clark (2)
- Commissioner Tina Fletcher (3) (W)
- Commissioner Barbara Clark (2)
- Commissioner Troy Prestwood (5) (W)
- Commissioner Cynthia Simms (5) (W)
- Order of Business
- The Honorable LaRuby May, Ward 8 Councilmember
- January 9th deadline for the January 16th Senior Citizen Day of Service Event (AFL-CIO). January 9th Potatoe and Coat Drive at Stadium-Amory from 10AM-2PM. Announced to the group that housing for DC General residents would not be in 8A. January 18th MLK Parade – encouraging everyone to participate. City Year sponsored Day of Service at Hart, Ballou and Simon. January 18th DC Department of Corrections to deliver items to inmates by soliciting donations from the Hotel Associations, etc. for the 2K DC residents. January 22, the Coast Guard will adopt three early childhood centers in the Ward in order to help the Bronze centers become Gold status. Question: How much was donated to the camera budget? $500,000.
- Christopher Shorter, Director, Department of Public Works
- Jeffrey Powell, Solid Waste, Karla Kirby, Deputy Director DPW (resident of 8A), Martina Ward, Supervisor Parking Enforcement for Ward 8, Tiffany Smith-Bell, Acting Coordinator Parking Enforcement
- Director Shorter provided an overview of the agency, an overview of the DPW dashboard (parking enforcement, fleet and waste management). Shorter also discussed trash pick-up/recycling and the snow removal process. During heavy snow, DPW will not stop and wait for the next week to come, they will slide the schedule back and pick up as soon as the weather clears. Shorter provided an overview of the ROSA program for out-of-state cars (owned by DC residents) parked on RPP streets. DPW does not plow alleys; therefore collected in alleys can’t be pick-up. Rodent Control is within the Department of Health (DOH) rather than DPW. Question: Who is responsible for snow/sidewalks at vacant or blighted or abandoned properties? The owners are responsible. We can call Serve DC for volunteers but also report it to 311 so that the owner can receive a citation.
- Community Concerns
- Street repairs: 16th Street, SE and Suitland and Howard Road
- Standing Community Reports
- Executive Office of the Mayor
- Office of Councilmember LaRuby May
- MPD 6th and 7th Districts
- Commissioner Roundtable
- 8A01: Holly Muhammad:
- 8A02: Barbara Clark:
- 8A03: Cynthia Simms:
- 8A04: Troy Prestwood:
- 8A05: Charles Wilson:
- 8A06: Tina Fletcher:
- Adjournment (8:57PM)
8A01: Holly Muhammad, Vice-Chair | 8A02: Barbara Clark, Treasurer | 8A03: Cynthia Simms | 8A04: Troy Prestwood |
8A05: Charles Wilson | 8A06: Tina Fletcher, Secretary | 8A07: Natalie Williams, Chair