Advisory Neighborhood Commission 8A Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 | 7PM
UPO Building | 1649 Good Hope Road SE | Washington, DC 20020
7 Commissioners | 33 Attendees
- Call to Order (7:03PM)
- Roll Call
- All Commissioners Present
- Old Business
- Revised Treasurer’s Quarterly Report (After Voting for 2015 Officers)
We had additional expenses we had to take one. Our new total is $11,820.37 minus the $5,000 owed to FedEx. Commissioners work on a cash accrual system. Expenditures aren’t reflected on you reported until transactions are actually made.
- MOTION: Cm. Clark moved to accept the 3rd and 4th quarter budget as presented with the approval of the $25 security deposit requirement. 2nd: Cm. Muhammad. PASSED: (7-0-0)
- Awards of service were presented to Commissioners Anthony Muhammad, Carolyn Bridges-Ward and Greta Fuller for their work in 8A.
- Introduction of New Commissioners
- 8A03, Cynthia Simms, former DC Government Employee and current employee of the Federal Commission.
- 8A04, Troy Prestwood, Native Washingtonian – grade school thru grad school.
- 8A06, Tina Fletcher, former Anacostia High School teacher and current Community Engagement Manager for DC Public Schools.
- Kevin Brown (2620 Bowen Road Project) via Neighborhood Development Company
- There are 41 units but only 20 parking spaces. City wants less parking, residents want more. Requesting support from ANC for approval in reduction in parking and reduction in zoning. 8C never voted and now the location in 2006 is in 8A so we’re here to get a letter of support. DDOT Wanted us to look at the availability of street parking on Bowen.
We walked Bowen Street in the evening and saw a lot of vacant street parking spots. I think I found nearly 83 vacant spaces in their lot. For this site, there aren’t practical ways to increase parking. Amenities . . . could you cut some of the lobby space and include a gym. This building would not allow us to include retail on the first floor because this is a residential area. As for the aesthetics, we only offer quality buildings and products. January 27th Deadline for letter of support.
- MOTION: Cm. Williams moved to table discussion until meeting can be held between NW and KB. 2nd: Cm. Clark. PASSED: (7-0-0)
- Voting for 2015 Officers
- NOMINATIONS/WINNERS (W) (Gottlieb Simon, ANC ED Presiding)
- Chairperson: Commissioner Natalie Williams (W); Commissioner Charles Wilson
- Vice-Chair: Commissioner Holly Mohammad (W)
- Secretary: Commissioner Tina Fletcher (W)
- Treasurer: Commissioner Barbara Clark (W)
- Updates from Commissioners
- 8A01 Holly Mohammad
- Beautification project. Let me know if you’d like to help me. We have a clean team that goes down to Orr but stops there because of funding. We have a new Commander in the 6th District – David Taylor.
- 8A02 Barbara Clark
- New Deli, fighting against Class A license. Safe Passage with Police, Public Safety is a big issue. There’s a light pole coming down and we’re hoping to get that fixed.
- 8A03 Cynthia Simms
- New to the area. Looking forward to working with my constituents. RW: Stop Sign on 22nd and S – there needs to be one.
- 8A04 Troy Prestwood
- New but my biggest issues is public safety. I would like to work on seeing our elders step up and claiming their role in our community. We need them to step up and step out.
- 8A05 Charles Wilson
- Legal dumping on 14th and V Street. I combine my ANC work with other community work. Thursday, January 8 meeting at 7PM with Andy Shallal and a representative from the HPRB and KC Trees.
- 8A06 Tina Fletcher
- Education and Public Safety in Ward 8: We need a team to help Savoy and Ketchup raise their scores. SBOE Rep. Tierra Jolly: DC CAS to PARKK Standards. Stanton EL made massive leaps in Science. First Public Working meeting is tomorrow.
- 8A07 Natalie Williams
- Loitering on Howard Road. Public Safety is a concern. Let’s get together and figure out what we can do as a commission to fight back at the crime that’s happening. At our next Executive Meeting, let’s put our minds and heads together to put a plan together.
- Community Concerns
- Meeting this Friday at 6:30PM at the RISE Center on the St. Elizabeth’s Campus.
- I would like to see another Ward 8 Town Hall Meeting with our communities to discuss crime – Hug a Thug.
- Traditional method of “getting to kids” isn’t going to work. The people in position to help aren’t at these meetings.
- Motion: Cm. Wilson moved to adjourn the meeting. 2nd: Cm. Clark. Passed: (7-0-0)
8A01: Holly Muhammad, Vice-Chair | 8A02: Barbara Clark, Treasurer | 8A03: Cynthia Simms | 8A04: Troy Prestwood |
8A05: Charles Wilson | 8A06: Tina Fletcher, Secretary | 8A07: Natalie Williams, Chair